Monday, April 13, 2009

Father, forgive them

This week was Easter week and as many others around the globe, we were pondering and rejoicing in the sacrificial death of Jesus our Lord. Something that really stood out to me from the story this year was this simple phrase that Jesus prayed as his life faded away on the cross: "Father, forgive them..." Those who taunted him, mocked him, spit at him, called him a liar, pierced his hands and feet, all those whose past and future sin had made this horrible death necessary- these he prays for in his last moments. What powerful words! How profound and how selfless! "Father, forgive them." Even in his lasts breaths, in the intense, unbearable physical pain, and in the depths of emotional turmoil he experienced as he bears ALL sin, He never forgets his purpose. He was born for that moment, so that "in Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace" (Eph. 2:7) The writer of Hebrews says, "For the joy set before Him, he endured the cross..." Wow. And what was the joy that spurred him forward? I think it was being able to stand again with the Father and and say "Father, on the basis on my pure, sinless blood to cover their sins, I ask you to forgive them. Release them from their due penalty." And he has been standing there at His Father's side for thousands of years saying that very thing - "Father, forgive them." (Romans 8:24, Hebrews 7:25) As I read it in the Easter story this year, I knew in a deeper way that he has looked at me with compassion, even as my sin caused his brutal death, and said to the Father, "forgive her." My hearts leaps at the thought, and I am moved to worship Him! Won't you hear him say those words over you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment