Sunday, July 16, 2017

Gadget-less

I am embracing a new weekly practice.  It is actually quite old, but newer to me.  I am setting aside time on Sunday to reflect and refocus.  I have decided not to use social media, or basically any technology that would be labeled "entertainment," for the day in order to make room to sit and think, pray, read, or listen to things that will attach my heart and hope on Jesus.   For some time, I have noticed this habit of mine to reach for my tablet or pull up the chair to the computer with most any free minute I have- nursing the baby, waiting for the pasta to cook, holding on the phone with insurance, surprised with a peaceful 15 minutes while the kids play outside and that baby sleeps.
My wonderful hubby, who does not currently
 have the same temptation with gadgets.
However, I don't usually take photos of myself!

One day, I started to think about what I used to do when I didn't have the gadgets or even the speedy internet service.  It wasn't really that long ago!  And it hit me, a little hard; I used to just sit... in the quiet.  I used to think more.  I used to read more.  I used to go on more walks. I used to engage with the littles more.  I used to sit outside while the kids played. Maybe I even read the Living Word of God more or prayed more.  So I made a decision to monitor myself, noticing when I grabbed for that laptop or tablet (I don't have a fancy smartphone!), and to be more intentional to leave it when it was really just a time killer.  
I recently enjoyed helping Nathanael play with Aaron in the fort he made for the two of them.
So one way that I have chosen to implement this intentionality is to refrain from unnecessary "gadget" use on Sunday.  And I have noticed some fruit from that choice:  More opportunity for spontaneous conversation with a child,  Extra meditation on the Scriptures, Being spurred on by teachings I might otherwise forgo, and time to reflect and think on the week before.
That being said, today I have been thinking over the week and my gratitude just soared!
This will be continued in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment