Monday, June 1, 2009

Treasure

What is my treasure? What is that thing that I will give it all for, spend my life storing up and seeking? I have great kids and I love my husband. I enjoy life and I like to drink coffee and eat ice cream. But none of those things, as special as some of them are, should be my treasure. I was reading in the Bible a few days ago about our treasure. I found these verses tucked away in Psalm 119. "The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of coins of gold and silver."(v 72) "I rejoice at your word as one who finds great treasure." (v 162) Do I view God's word this way? I grew up with several Bibles on the shelves at home, hearing its stories weekly in church. I haven't always viewed God's word as my treasure, but in the last several years, God has opened my eyes to its riches! Verse 50 in Psalm 119 says "Your word has given me life." Jesus said "The words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life." Nothing else I could seek, no other treasure that I could run after will give me life! His Word is a deep well of truth. His Word is a light to our path. It is light when all around us is darkness. And it is the very character of God that makes his words so priceless. SO really, He is the treasure! Jesus tells a parable about a man who found a treasure. He sold everything he had and bought the field that contained the treasure. I have decided, and have to reaffirm that decision often, that I will give it all for the treasure of Jesus and His Word. He gave his all for me, thinking me a special treasure. How else will I respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment